Pay by Direct Debit
Direct Debit is the most convenient way to pay your council tax every month.
The advantages are:
- No need to remember when to pay;
- It's cheaper and convenient - no car parking costs, bus fares or postage and no queuing;
- Paying by Direct Debit can result in 94% less carbon emissions than paying by cheque.
The scheme offers you complete peace of mind as it is guaranteed by your bank.
How To Pay
Complete our online Direct Debit mandate form to set up a Direct Debit to pay your council tax, without the need to send an application by post.
Before you start to complete the form, make sure you have checked the following:
- Your Council Tax reference number - this can be found in the top right had corner of your bill. It's an eight digit number and starts with a '4';
- The address of the property you are paying for;
- Your bank/building society details.
When setting up a Direct Debit on-line you also need to confirm the following:
- You are the named account holder of the bank account to be debited;
- No other signature apart from my own is required to authorize the setting up of Direct Debits on this account.
If you can't confirm this you can still set up a Direct Debit, but you'll need to print out a Direct Debit Instruction form or call our Customer Service Team on 0161 912 2220.